Rethinking and Improving Online Tests in Brightspace
Originally presented for CAT+FD on 9 March 2023 by Ms. Janice Florent and Dr. Elizabeth Yost Hammer
“Knowing what you know and don't know focuses learning. Students need appropriate feedback on performance to benefit from courses.” (Chickering & Gamson, 1987).
We are constantly required to assess students, yet many of us have received no formal training in creating authentic assessments. Writing good questions, whether multiple-choice or other formats, takes skill. In this workshop, we discuss better practices for writing strong questions, then demonstrate the Brightspace Quiz tool.
Additionally, the Brightspace Quizzes tool was redesigned recently and a New Quiz Creation Experience was introduced. In this workshop we will review the New Quiz Creation Experience.
This workshop, the fourteenth in our #LEX Advanced series, builds on the skills you learned in the #LearnEverywhereXULA course AND challenges you to rethink and improve your tests and exams for better learning assessment.
Online Tests Resources
- Rethinking Multiple Choice Tests for Better Learning Assessment
- Vaccinate Against Cheating With Authentic Assessment
- Designing Effective Test Questions
- Considerations for Constructing an Exam
Higher-Order Thinking Questions
- Writing Higher-Order Multiple Choice Questions
- Sample Higher-Order Thinking Questions
- Higher Order Thinking Skills Question Templates
- Revised Bloom’s Taxonomy Action Verbs
Brightspace Quizzes Tool
- Brightspace New Quiz Creation Experience
- Question Types & When to Use Them
- Brightspace Question Types (strengths, challenges, and tips for using)
- Understanding Grading Options for Question Types
- Understanding Regular Expressions
- Customize the Submission View to Show Quiz Answers to Learners
- How-to Documents for Assessing Learners (on CAT FooD Blog)