Facilitating Group Work in Your Brightspace Course
“Learning is not a spectator sport. Students do not learn much just by sitting in classes listening to teachers, memorizing prepackaged assignments, and spitting out answers. They must talk about what they are learning, write about it, relate it to past experiences and apply it to their daily lives. They must make what they learn part of themselves.” (Chickering & Gamson, 1987).
If structured well, group projects can promote important intellectual and social skills and help to prepare students for a work world in which teamwork and collaboration are increasingly the norm. Take advantage of Brightspace's groups tool for online group activities that give your students the benefits of working collaboratively in your courses.
This workshop, the twelfth in our #LEX Advanced series, builds on the skills you learned in the #LearnEverywhereXULA course and shows you how you can use the Brightspace groups tool to facilitate online group activities and build community in your courses.
- Watch this Online Teamwork and Collaboration video (5 minutes) - to be completed before the workshop.
Plan and Facilitate Group Work
- Designing Effective Group Work
- Facilitate Effective Group & Team Work
- Using Cooperative Learning Groups Effectively
- Using Group Projects Effectively
- Facilitating and Monitoring Group Work
- Strategies for Implementing Group Work in Large Classes: Lessons from Enquiry-Based Learning
- Promote Active Learning in Group Projects Through the Use of the Transparent Assignment Framework
- Supporting Students to Reflect on their Group Work
- How to Survive Virtual Group Work (resource for students)
Assessing Group Work
Brightspace Groups Tool
- Brightspace Groups
- Groups Tool How-to’s
- Best Practices for Setting Up Groups
- Best Practices for Group Enrollment
Grading Group Assignments in Brightspace
- How do I assign Grades for an entire group? Also individually?
- Grading an Assignment (Individual or Group)