CAT Unleashed Workshops
Please note: These resources were compiled to support our quick pivot to emergency remote teaching during the initial outbreak of COVID-19 in our area, in the spring of 2020. While we hope some of this content may be of continuing value, these pages are not being updated and may contain outdated information.
CAT+FD introduced CAT Unleashed workshops in January 2020, in an effort to "untether" our workshops from the physical space of our offices and to make them more accessible to busy faculty. Originally, the CAT Unleashed workshops were regular, live workshops held in our usual faculty development spaces that were also made available live online. With the sudden switch to remote teaching in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, all CAT+FD workshops became, in a sense, unleashed, as we began hosting all sessions online only.
You can also subscribe to our YouTube channel to get notifications about new videos as soon as they are posted.
- 1 Recorded Workshops
- 1.1 Instructional Continuity
- 1.2 Back to Basics
- 1.3 Beyond the Basics
- 2 Instructional Videos
In January 2020, CAT+FD began recording most of our workshops and posting to the CAT+FD YouTube Channel. Below are the workshop recordings of particular relevance to Remote Teaching and Remote Learning.
Preparing to Teach During a Disruption (46:11)
- Recorded on Wednesday, August 29, 2018. Led by Janice Florent & Elizabeth Yost Hammer.
- Watch the video of Preparing to Teach During a Disruption
Back to Basics
The Back to Basics workshops are short, targeted sessions that introduce faculty to the essential tools and components of Brightspace, Xavier's Learning Management System.
Introduction to Brightspace (7:55)
- Recorded on Monday, March 9, 2020. Led by Elizabeth Yost Hammer.
- Watch the video of Introduction to Brightspace
Assignments & Discussions (27:01)
- Recorded on Thursday, March 12, 2020. Led by Jason S. Todd.
- Watch the video of Assignments & Discussions
Tests & Quizzes (25:00)
- Recorded on Monday, March 16, 2020. Led by Janice Florent.
- Watch the video of Tests & Quizzes
Meet Your Class Virtually (34:36)
- Recorded on Friday, March 20, 2020. Led by Janice Florent.
- Watch the video of Meet Your Class Virtually
Brightspace Grades (35:35)
- Recorded on Monday, March 23, 2020. Led by Janice Florent.
- Watch the video of Brightspace Grades
Beyond the Basics
The videos in Beyond the Basics explore some of the more complex aspects of emergency remote teaching, such has how to keep students engaged during a synchronous teaching session and how to rethink our traditional ideas of a final exam. While they highlight specific ed-tech tools, they do not teach viewers how to use those tools; rather, they demonstrate and share the ways those tools can be used for effective remote teaching.
Interactive Lecturing Online (40:06)
- Recorded on Thursday, March 26, 2020. Led by Elizabeth Yost Hammer.
- Watch the video of Interactive Lecturing Online
Engaging Students Online (33:33)
- Recorded on Monday, March 30, 2020. Led by Elizabeth Yost Hammer & Jason S. Todd.
- Watch the video of Engaging Students Online
(Re)Thinking Exams (43:00)
- Recorded on Tuesday, April 7, 2020. Led by Elizabeth Yost Hammer & Jason S. Todd.
- Watch the video of (Re)Thinking Exams
Complex Tests in Brightspace (43:40)
- Recorded on Tuesday, April 14, 2020. Led by Janice Florent & Jason S. Todd.
- Watch the video of Complex Tests in Brightspace
Instructional videos are short (under 10 minute) videos that demonstrate how to use specific tools to facilitate remote teaching. If you know of some tech tool that you'd like an instructional video for, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Zoom
Zoom has become the primary means of meeting with students and faculty at Xavier during the COVID-19 crisis. Many of our workshops talk about ways you can use Zoom more effectively to engage students. The videos below focus on how to use specific components of the Zoom system.
Breakout Room Basics (10:44)
|Teaching Remotely • Compassion and Self-Care • Discipline-Specific Resources|
|Additional Resources • CAT Unleashed Workshops|
|Contact the CAT+FD Staff|